Supplee Presbyterian Church had its origin in the mid 1950’s when George Arthur Supplee provided in his will that a portion of his estate be used to establish a memorial church. The Philadelphia Presbytery, through the board of National Missions, acquired five acres of ground along Welsh Road. This site became the location of Supplee Church. By August of 1958 the Reverend and Mrs. Howard Louis Frame began to organize the new church and a manse was purchased.
The first service was held in the manse on October 5, 1958 with twenty worshipers present. On June 21, 1959, a Service of Organization was held with nearly sixty charter members. On December 13, 1959 the ground breaking ceremony for the original church took place and on November 13, 1960 the first service in the new sanctuary was held. The Reverend Howard Frame was installed as the first pastor on January 7, 1962.
In 1969 Howard Frame retired, having never missed a Sunday in the pulpit during his entire ministry. The Reverend Walter Mueller became Supplee’s second Pastor in 1970. Significant numerical and spiritual growth ensued. Full implementation of session committees gave greater congregational representation and responsibility. Innovative ideas flourished – church picnics, potluck suppers and the annual Advent hymn sing.
The growth Supplee Church experienced in the mid-1980’s necessitated the building of a larger sanctuary and additional educational facilities which were completed in November 1987. The Wicks pipe organ was transported to the new space, where it is continually being refined and expanded. Music is an important part of our worship with the adult and children’s choirs and an abundance of musically talented individuals in the congregation.
Following Walter Mueller’s retirement, Neil Babcox became our third pastor serving for ten years. Following his resignation, Pauline Sexton served as our interim for almost three years. After a long search the Reverend Doctor Donald Hoagland became our fourth pastor in June 2006. His preaching, personality and dedication are exemplary, and we are privileged to have him and his lovely family with us.